Healthy horses with a good diet and exercise regime may not require specific attention but if you know your horse, you will know when it's under par. Some natural herbal remedies may give a boost when needed. Here are a few natural supplements that are commonly found:
- Nettles are rich in vitamin C, iron, sodium, protein and fibre. They may be helpful to horses with poor circulation, arthritis or rheumatism.
- Mint aids digestion, it's menthol is a useful anti-bacterium and anti-parasitic.
- Meadowsweet is an antacid that can relieve acid indigestion and treat diarrhoea. It is also an anti-inflammatory and pain-killer - an equine paracetamol equivalent.
- Garlic is good for the respiratory system and can reduce blood pressure. It is also useful for pain relief, has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties - and helps to repel flies!
- Seaweed is an excellent source of multi-vitamins.
As always, moderation is key. Seek expert advice before changing your horse's routine.
horse care products